Activators are ambassadors and champions of well-being within the Georgia Tech community.
Activators serve as role models within their respective groups or departments, inspiring others to flourish physically, emotionally, spiritually, professionally, socially, and personally. They are charged with:
- Relaying information about events and programs related to health and well-being
- Motivating their peers and colleagues to adopt healthy behaviors
- Enhancing a culture of health, wellbeing, and caring among students and employees at Georgia Tech
Well-Being Activators are the “first to know” about the latest health and well-being happenings on campus.
Well-Being Activators host programs, lead healthy challenges and integrate well-being into their group or department.
Activators spend about 3-4 hours each month infusing health and well-being into their group. Some weeks, that is simply sending an email to the group/team outlining upcoming events and programs that they can sign up for. Other weeks Activators may choose to host an original program or a health initiatives staff member. Here are some successful programs that current Activators have held:
- Residence Hall Healthy Floor Competition – each floor’s residents tracked their healthy behaviors each month, such as eating 4 servings of veggies or sleeping more than 8 hours in a night. Each month, the floor that completed the most healthful behaviors received a prize.
- Weekly Mindfulness Meditation sessions – a 30 minute weekly session for staff to practice mindful meditation together in order to de-stress and “reboot.”
- Pay it Forward Chocolates – A box of chocolates and ideas for acts of kindness were placed in the office. Employees were encouraged to take a chocolate and to pay it forward.
- Healthy Potluck Lunch – members each provided their favorite healthy dish for a department meal. Nutritionist joined the group for a conversation on healthy eating.
Well-Being Activators attend one half-day training and then attend monthly meetings.
In order to become an Activator, you must attend a half-day training and monthly meetings. The training will help you develop leadership skills, learn core concepts related to health and well-being, and teach you how to create programs for your group.
The monthly meetings cover the topic of the month and provide an overview of upcoming programs and events. The monthly meetings are also an opportunity for Activators to work together on creating programs and initiatives and share success stories.
The next training for student Well-Being Activators is: Sep 23rd, 10:00 - 1:00 PM in the Student Center Peachtree Room
The deadline to apply is Sept 13th and applicants will be notified about acceptance from August 20th to Sept. 18th
The next training for employee Well-Being Activators is: Oct. 12, 10:00 - 2:00 PM, location TBD (lunch provided)
The deadline to apply is Sept 27 and applicants will be contacted between Sept. 18th to Oct 5th
The dates for monthly meetings will be annouced prior to training.
As a Well-Being Activator, you will gain skills related to leadership, well-being, and fostering healthy behavior change.
Activators have access to information, tools and resources that will assist them in leading a healthier lifestyle for themselves and the group that they represent. Activators also have a strong peer, professional and cross-campus network.
Yolonda Cameron from Legal Affairs & Risk Management became an activator to, “cultivate a community of health, well-being and caring on a practical level. That is, it means not only sharing various health & wellness tips and initiatives at Georgia Tech but also facilitating a variety of health & wellness activities.”
Chemical engineering student, Justin Goveas became an activator to, “be a resource to the community and to my peers. I’m able to take what I’ve learned in the activators program and incorporate it into the lives of people around me. It’s something I’m thankful for because I’m better able to be there for my friends and the people I care about.”
Every student organization and campus department needs at least one Well-Being Activator.
Below is a roster of the organizations and departments who currently have a Well-Being Activator.
Don’t see your group? Apply to be or nominate someone to be a Well-Being Activator for your organization or department.
Application Deadlines for Fall 2018
- Students: Sept. 13 (applicants will be notified about acceptance from August 20th to Sept. 18th)
- Employees: Sept. 27 (applicants will be notified about acceptance from Sept. 18th to Oct 5th)
- Students: Sept. 23rd, 10:00 - 1:00 PM in the Student Center Peachtree Room
- Employees: Oct. 12, 10:00 - 2:00 PM, location TBD (lunch provided)